jueves, 2 de febrero de 2012

Types of Sentences

Simple Sentences

A simple sentence has one independent clause. That means it has one subject and one verb.

  • The dog jumped.
  • The man bowed.
  • The little girl cried.

Compound Sentences
A compound sentence consists of two or more independent clauses.
  • My mother invited me to a tea party, but my husband didn't let me go.
  • Do you want to stay at home, or would you like to go play games with me?
  • I have a lot of homework to finish, so  I will be up all the weekend.

Complex Sentences: 

A complex sentence contains one independent clause and at least one dependent clause. The independent clause is called the “main clause.” These sentences use subordinating conjunctions to link ideas.

  • I ate the vegetables that my mom cooked.
  • I enjoyed the pizza that you bought for me. 
  • I ate cook before I went to the University

Compound-Complex Sentences: 

A compound-complex sentence has at least two independent clauses and at least one dependent clause. The dependent clause can be part of the independent clause.

  • The cat lived in the backyard, but the dog was superior, now  lived inside the house.
  • My mom live in New York, but  she decided  travel to Los Angeles, before I come back to my house.
  




Declarative sentence: 
Its shows a statement. 


- His name is Fatima Ayala.


Interrogative sentence: 
Its asks a question. 


- How much does the listening book cost?


Exclamatory sentence: 
Its shows statement that shows strong emotion.


- I love you so much!


Imperative sentence: 
Its show a direction or a command. 


- Don´t be late we have grammar class.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario